Tuesday 16 August 2011

Hollywood Golden Age

Probably my favorite period in Hollywood films is the Golden Age. The period which started after the end of the silent era and continued to the early 1960s. Who doesn’t know such Hollywood stars as Clark Gable, Elizabeth Taylor, Marlon Brando, Marilyn Monroe, Gene Kelly, Audrey Hepburn, Fred Astaire, Vivien Leigh, Paul Newman, uhhhh, the list can really go on forever. All those people were film icons. They not only were movie stars, they were an example of an American dream come true. Well, not only American, I guess. You see, as you may have noticed, English is not my first language. But that doesn’t stop me from admiring all those films over and over again. 

Growing up as a kid, I didn’t have the opportunity to see those pieces of art. I’ve always known the name Marilyn Monroe, but I’ve never realized that she was such an incredible artist, and such a poor and lonely girl at the same time.. Hollywood can make your life miserable. But in order to survive, you just have to find the right balance. That actually relates to anything in life. In order to be happy, you need to find that balance that’ll keep your head straight.


Marilyn Monroe











Movie making in Hollywood was always a business. But I always wanted to believe in the fact that people cared about the end product the most, that is the quality of the motion picture, and not how much it earned in the box office. Money has, does and always will matter, but there's gotta be something beyond that.

The Hollywood Golden Age produced many great works of cinema. Among my personal favorites you can find:

- Citizen Kane
- Singin' in the Rain
- Rebel Without a Cause
- Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
- The Hustler
- A Streetcar Named Desire
- On the Waterfront
- East of Eden

As I've said before, the list can go on and on. As you've probably noticed, I love Paul Newman, James Dean and Marlon Brando. I know it may be kind of cliche, but who can deny the fact that they were incredibly talented actors, truly devoted to their work.

No comments:

Post a Comment